Summer is just around the corner. Take my word for it, the other people in your home will appreciate you more if you make sure the air conditioning unit is working properly before the coming 90+ degree days arrive.
Why is a tune up beneficial?
A small amount of maintenance will go a long way to help:
- Save some money on your energy costs
- Extend the life of your current unit.
- Avoid a breakdown.
- Ensure that your home is comfortable.
If those things sound like worthwhile goals, then keep reading.
The Steps to a Great AC Tune Up
- Clean the coils in the unit. Dirty coils reduce the system’s ability to cool your home.
- These coils are used for evaporation and condensation purposes, and by cleaning them, you allow their conductive properties to work unobstructed. Dirty coils cause the system to work harder which increases energy costs and reduces the life of your system.
- If you have a central air conditioner, check its refrigerant level. There is typically an easy to see gauge that will quickly let you know if you need to add any more.
- Too much or too little refrigerant will eat into your system’s efficiency, increase energy costs, and thereby shorten your system’s lifespan.
- Next, take a look at your air filters. We recommend that you do this once a month in your central air conditioner, furnace, and/or heat pump.
- A dirty filter can increase energy costs by overworking your system, lead to damaging your equipment, and premature replacement costs.
- Lastly, check your system’s airflow components. You can do this by cleaning any vents, and even removing their cover to see if you can locate any larger debris that may have accumulated.
- By keeping these clean, you give your system its best chance at running as efficiently as possible.
Neglecting to service your air conditioner with these simple steps means that all of the dirt and grime that builds over the year adds up. Taking the time to do the routine maintenance ensures those problem that can result from the buildup and clogging of systems in your unit don’t have the chance to add up and you can extend the healthy lifespan of your cooling system. If you’d prefer that a professional assesses your AC unit, we would gladly come and take a look for you. Give us a call, or fill out the form, and we will schedule your appointment at your convenience.